PDA

View Full Version : Pants Update!!

Todd
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Well no completion date yet, but we have received pictures of the pants in progress. All of the fabric has been cut out, so they are now diligently working on sewing up the pants! I will keep you updated as soon as we have more info!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225099_188773211168954_130217667024509_468967_6571 354_n.jpg

You can check out more pictures on our facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Todds-Costumes-Movie-Costumes-Props-Collectibles/130217667024509

-Kristen
http://WWW.ToddsCostumes.com

djd
04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks Kristen! You've nailed the colour :)

Todd
04-27-2011, 06:30 PM
There you go, a peek at the pocket flap scallop in all it's glory. Also, the diagonal darts. A prototype was made, and it was perfect in every detail, including perfect pocket flap scallops. In fact, they could have been too perfect - I made a few internal changes to prevent fraud.

100% wool cavalry twill cloned from a swatch of Noel's darker taupe fabric (not the light pinkish taupe) which I believe to be the correct Raider's color. The same yarn weight, thread count, weave, color, etc. The hems will be finished with the 4" military cuff, with longer lengths to allow for shortening (not Crisco). Having the cuffs pre-hemmed will make it a whole lot easier to have any seamstress take them up - they already have a finished sample to follow.

The price... between $70 and $80. Price is subject to change due to unforseen freight charges, import duties and taxes, penalties, fees, fines, hoops, inspections, pat downs, shake downs, bribes, etc.

Delivery time - unknown. Two weeks for wire transfer of funds, a month for ocean freight, a week for customs clearance, yaddi yaddi yadda.

-Todd

djd
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
That's a great price. There's no way I could stretch to Magnolis $200 odd dollars for his version

crismans
04-28-2011, 01:36 AM
I've never been that excited about the pants part of the gear but this has me taking notice. Well done!

RCSignals
04-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Indiana Jones costume aside, these may just be nice trousers to have and wear 'real world'.

deadseascrolls
04-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Indiana Jones costume aside, these may just be nice trousers to have and wear 'real world'.

I couldn't agree more RC. I've been trying to buy as many used Wested trousers as I can so I have a good supply to hold me over for quite awhile to wear on trips, adventures, and the future hope of archaeological field internships. When one pair wears out, I have another ready for wear. However, for what I'd like to use them for, I couldn't justify buying brand new pairs for $130 each so having these trousers for sale soon, and at a price far less than Wested's and far more accurate in details than Westeds, will allow a person to stock up and have a stable vendor and offering to buy from while knowing that one's pocketbook won't be hurt.

Kt Templar
04-28-2011, 06:56 AM

I couldn't agree more RC. I've been trying to buy as many used Wested trousers as I can so I have a good supply to hold me over for quite awhile to wear on trips, adventures, and the future hope of archaeological field internships. When one pair wears out, I have another ready for wear. However, for what I'd like to use them for, I couldn't justify buying brand new pairs for $130 each so having these trousers for sale soon, and at a price far less than Wested's and far more accurate in details than Westeds, will allow a person to stock up and have a stable vendor and offering to buy from while knowing that one's pocketbook won't be hurt.

Dunno where you get that price from, Wested's are £49/$82 at the moment, for 100% Made in UK trousers that is excellent value, always has been.

djd
04-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I agree KT- not sure how much shipping they charge to the US though? The wested colour is not bad and theyre nicely made but not right for Raiders. Magnoli is the only one who has it right now the NH ones are no longer available. Magnolis are very expensive though- way too much for me

Kt Templar
04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Will be interested to see if the colour reacts in the same way as the real ones, grey in some light and 'pinks' in other. It was flash and non flash but I don't remember which did which!

djd
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Lol! Me neither. Todd has done a hell of a lot of background work to get it right

deadseascrolls
04-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Dunno where you get that price from, Wested's are £49/$82 at the moment, for 100% Made in UK trousers that is excellent value, always has been.

KT,

I get that price from their website!. :rolleyes: Sure they're $82 "in" the UK, but shipping costs about $40, and if you, like I did just now, put a pair in the shopping basket, you'd see that the total cost is $120.28 to get a pair to the US. Given that they're cavalry twill but still not that accurate (see the placement and depth of the pleats as well as back pockets and taper in the legs), I still think that $120 is just a bit much. And for the rest of you who are UK citizens or hold allegiance to the Union Jack, I mean no offense to the following - but I don't care if they were made in the UK or Zimbabwe - to me they're not "that" great of an item for the price if you're a US citizen. And that's what I am so I worry about the "US" cost and NOT about the UK cost.

Not trying to be overly ugly here. I just get "a bit" irritated when people question my facts when the same access to them is given on a site for everyone to check out themselves.

Kt Templar
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Made in the UK means that cost are as high as or higher than made in the US, that's all.

Made in the far east, as these are, *should* mean a significant reduction in price. But it never does.

Shipping (from a vendor) is shipping, you can't help that, neither can you the duty if it happens. If I were to take your example I'd should take the $80 and add his foreign shipping. But you'll note I didn't add shipping to either, for a level playing field.

Indiego Jones
04-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Let's just not assume we know the production costs, on ANY vendor.
That's disrespectful to their efforts and works.

Wested's, Magnoli's trousers are great, and also this ones.
Different patterns, vendors and approaches.
Not one "better" than the other...

Some will prefer Wested's, some Todd's, some Magnoli's...
I like the fact we have more options.
Regards.-

Kt Templar
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
And maybe I assumed wrong as to the location.

Maybe it's in Flushing.

;D

Indiego Jones
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
KT, I didn't meant to offend you in any way.
I understand you know how much is the "cost of living" in UK.
But, you know Wested's accounting numbers, or production costs?
Or Todd's "Made in the far east" production costs???

Just trying to say, no one can assume how much is the total cost of offering a product to the public.
Many elements must be taken into account.

I'm sorry about my terms, maybe I'm expressing myself wrongly, and give a wrong impression.
Can be due to the fact I think in spanish, and something gets lost in translation.
Regards.-

Todd
05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
New pictures from the factory!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227200_190881477624794_130217667024509_481054_3362 907_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/222299_190872887625653_130217667024509_481006_5027 254_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.188298087883133.44655.130217667024509#!/media/set/?set=a.188298087883133.44655.130217667024509&closeTheater=1

-Kristen
http://WWW.ToddsCostumes.com

RCSignals
05-06-2011, 09:04 PM
They look good.

I'd have liked to see a button at the top rather than the clip (not saying either is or isn't 'SA' ), but other than that these look great.

Zane
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
This might help:

"The button hole will be there. They do everything in steps. The other button holes had to be done before sewing the strip to the pants. The flap button hole has to be made after the strip is sewn on. They'll set up a machine for that little flap and zip through the entire batch."

-Todd

RCSignals
05-08-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm not sure i understand that Zane. Does it mean the clip is temporary? why would it even be installed if so?

deadseascrolls
05-08-2011, 02:39 AM
RC,

While Zane got his information correctly from Todd, unfortunately it's not the right information to help answer your comment about the button. Zane's information relates to the flap that's next to the metal clip ring.

The hook and clasp closure will be permanent. RC's reference to the button closure at the top is reminiscent of the original WWII Officer Pinks.

I would think, though, that if you wanted it removed RC it wouldn't be too big of a challenge for an alteration shop or tailor/seamstress to remove. In fact, if you did take it to an alterations shop, they may be able to also fairly easily put in the button-hole too for you.

I think Todd took the hook/clasp off of the designs of Noel Howard's and Wested's pants and as far as screen-accuracy goes, I believe the hook/clasp is the correct choice for that nuance detail.

Hopefully this helps clear things up a bit.

RCSignals
05-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks DSS

It isn't that big of an issue. For me it is just a preference. I don't like the clips, they fail easily.
I also don't care if it is SA, it's more about practicality. Who sees that detail on screen?
It reminds me of the past discussions of inside pockets on jackets. More than one is practical, even if it isn't 'SA'. Again who really notices how many inside pockets the jacket has (when just watching the movie and not 'examining' it)?

Not to go more off topic but I guess is a lead into the definition of 'SA'. If it isn't seen on screen how can something be 'SA'?

deadseascrolls
05-08-2011, 03:25 AM
RC,

You make some very good points. One of the caveats with most people is not only that the nuances seen on screen be screen-accurate, but that the items that a few of us actually use on vacations, archaeological digs, etc. be durable enough for real-world wear. As has been pointed out numerous times both here and at other forums, costume departments made the Indy costumes to "look good" and not to be hard-wearing. After all, if they made each item for durability, why the need to have 30+ jackets, shirts, and trousers? They knew that they wouldn't hold up and Ford would need to change quite frequently. With most of us, we don't have a million-dollar wardrobe budget, so when we do buy a piece of gear, we want it to be able to hold up to years of use before the need arises that we need to replace it.

As for the button at the top - I look at the fact that if the US Army Air Corps used them on the Officer Pinks, there must be a very good reason why they did. Indeed, the hook/clasp is not a very durable item to use and is generally used more for dress trousers that don't require the toils of casual/work/etc. wear.

Also, for your comment on it not being seen on screen and thus how can it be SA - I've always wondered that myself. But for many people, it's the "follow the breadcrumbs" theory of connecting piece to piece until you can somehow get it to a vendor or someone who had close affiliation with the movie. In this case, many fans still hold true to their liking of Noel Howard's gear as being the closest one can come to the actual design of the gear used on screen because of his affiliation with providing the movies with some items. Many think that because he provided some things to the films, that he designed his own items exactly the same for the most part and so they've taken that as practically official. Todd himself has claimed sort of that he's copied the details of Noel's trousers, and Magnoli follows the Noel designs to a tee for his shirts and trousers.

Yet I agree though that the hook/clasp wasn't seen on screen and therefore "shouldn't" technically be considered screen-accurate.

But just to clarify, I'm not in disagreement with you on anything you've said.

Further, I think I've totally derailed this thread. :D

Todd
05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
The hook is there because it was there on the original pants. I wanted to make these as close to owning the real thing as possible. Just my preference based on my philosophy of costume/prop replicating. We COULD have gone really upscale with these, but I didn't want to go that route.

Regarding Peter's pants (don't start!) I really don't know how he does them for so cheap. He must be taking a loss on them. I know English dress quality cavalry twill sells for $40 - $80 per yard. It takes about a yard and a half - two yards to make a pair of trousers. Do the math. That number has to be close to his cost. It's very nice of him to do that.

-Todd

deadseascrolls
05-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Everything you've stated Todd is 100% correct. I've done my own search for cavalry twills and the range for a yard of fabric is $80-100. However, I think what makes Peter's price so reasonable for the trousers is that he buys the fabric in bulk. I found a fabric mill that will custom dye cavalry twill to any color one wants but they require about 30 yards to be ordered for a price of about $700. Doing the math, that comes out to approx. $23 per yard. Now say the cost to make them is the same as Magnoli's price if one provides the fabric to him - $75 - that would make the trouser cost around $98 approx. But I've now contradicted myself as Peter's asking price for a pair is $80 excluding shipping and the cost, that I see, to make a pair at the very least is $98 so unless he's getting even better deals on manufacturing and fabric, the numbers show me he's taking a loss.

But I should stress here Todd that your price thus far is on par with Peter's and your product looks even more accurate in details than his, so I'm not knocking the trousers or the price at all.

As for the hook/clasp, I'm one that's glad that it's there. As close to the original is what I'd aim for.

Todd
05-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey Everyone!

Quoted form Todd... "Just wanted to let you know that the trousers are finished. They should ship tomorrow if we can get the documents in order. They're coming by boat to keep cost down, so figure 3-6 weeks before they're delivered."

But we have not received all of the customs fees or the shipping fees or the transport fees so we do not have a price yet and probaly will not have an exact price until they come through the door!
We'll keep you updated!

-Kristen
http://WWW.TosddsCostumes.com

McQueen
06-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Todd,

Are you able to share at this time with us the sizing options? My only concern will be the length of these for us taller fellows (6' and above).

Thanks

indyclone25
06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
ok folks, the pants are now available on todd's website, they have size chart also. *but they are still going through their inventory. so if your size isnt there yet , don't worry ,within the next week they will have more sizes put up .
i ordered mine last night. can't wait. we i get mine i will do a video review on the pants and post it here :)

deadseascrolls
06-19-2011, 02:42 PM
I just ordered 2 pair to test the waters on them and ordered them in my original size and not factoring in the so-called "department store fudging". My suggestion is to find a pair of trousers that fit you just right for waist size and measure the waist with a tailor's tape to make sure it's the right size. Take that size for the trousers.

I ordered two just to make sure that I had a couple on hand in case they sold out like hot-cakes. I can always send them back if I find I need 36's.

The price, as well, is UNBELIEVEABLE! :o

Todd
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey guys just wanted to let you know what is going on. YAY the pants came in, but the sizing is labeled wrong . We are measuring each pair of pants individually, so obviously that will take a little bit of time so please be patient! We will be updating the inventory periodically and we will try to update facebook when we update the sizes on the website so you know when more sizes are available.

Because we will be so busy sorting pants we will mainly be keeping facebook updated and may not hit the forums.
http:www.facebook.com/Todds.Costumes

-Kristen
www.ToddsCostumes.com (http://www.ToddsCostumes.com)

Todd
06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I just ordered 2 pair to test the waters on them and ordered them in my original size and not factoring in the so-called "department store fudging". My suggestion is to find a pair of trousers that fit you just right for waist size and measure the waist with a tailor's tape to make sure it's the right size. Take that size for the trousers.

Great advice for the measuring!

We are measuring them ourselves and are not taking away or adding inches, so if it says 32 it is actually right around 32 inches we are even going to be offering odd sizes like 31 and 39 ect. So hopfully that will help you guys get the correct sizes the first time around!

-Kristen

Todd
06-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey guys! More sizes are now available on the site and more to come!

http://www.toddscostumes.com/product/3566/Indiana-Jones-Style-Trousers/

-Kristen

Junior
06-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks! Just ordered a 34X33. :hail: :hail: :toast: ;) :whip: ;D

Todd
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM
More pants have been added to the site!
http://www.toddscostumes.com/product/3566/Indiana-Jones-Style-Trousers/

-Kristen

RCSignals
06-24-2011, 03:58 AM
Have you found any 33x34 yet?