PDA

View Full Version : Adventurebilt FS

indydude1
04-25-2011, 12:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/YOUNG-INDIANA-JONES-HAT-ADVENTUREBILT-FEDORA-7-1-2-/390305903093?pt=US_Hats&hash=item5ae00b71f5#ht_500wt_997 If you dont want to buy it off of ebay or want to make me an offer contact me at indydude1@gmail.com

indydude1
05-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Well I just added best offer onto it will somebody please make me an offer I'm desperate.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390305903093&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_500wt_1022

RCSignals
05-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Did you buy this second hand?
It appears to have been re-worked by someone. The liner looks to be the older style. Are you sure it is rabbit? That seems odd.

indydude1
05-12-2011, 12:25 AM
No I had Steve make it for me. I had worn it alittle and it seemed to just meld into that shape. Yes Im sure its rabbit it says on the inside of the sweat band.

RCSignals
05-12-2011, 01:31 AM
The liner looks like one of Marc's, out of Germany.

You've had it for a while then?
Did he use the same felt as for the hats he used to do for Magnoli?

indydude1
05-12-2011, 02:14 AM
He said the felt was an old sample from a hare type of hat he was making. I dont know why one of Marc's liners is in it. I only had it since about the 20th of december.

indydude18
05-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Thought you guys might want to take a read at this if anyone is considering buying this fedora:

http://indylounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=buyorsell&action=display&thread=5329&page=1

RCSignals
05-12-2011, 04:59 AM
There are too many questions about this hat. Indydude1 can you post any provenance such as a receipt, order form, etc?

Unlucky Berman
05-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Regarding the liner, if I remember the ABD-KotCS story they both exchanged their parts (felt, liner, ribbons,...) so that they could not tell the difference in the end who made which hat in the movie. I guess some of these parts were left over and Steve uses them now from time to time? But even Marc uses now an other liner, one with the new AB logo (a meso-american pyramid) since the guys from LFL had some problems with them using copyrighted image of the headpiece.

G-MANN
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
The liners used for the CS hats were used by both Steve and Marc. I was told they were plain white.

Marc has not used the old style liners for 2 years. And I seriously doubt that Steve uses Marc's old liners.

bendingoak
05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Steve and Marc used special white liners not any of them had a logo on them. The liner and ribbon doesn't look like either steve or Marcs work. Someone reworked them. There is no way steve would sew in a liner like that nor would he use one of Marcs liners. I can tell steve work when sewing a ribbon on and this doesn't have a single sign of steve at all.

jnicktem
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
I know that indydude1 was interested in reblocking hats at one point... maybe this was an attempt? And then he claimed Steve did it?

Renderking Fisk
05-12-2011, 11:39 PM
[url=http://indylounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=buyorsell&action=display&thread=5329&page=1#ixzz1MBS2FqNN]Well, after reading this...

I hate people on this forum. This really takes the Indiana Jones spirit right down the drain. I am just going to resign from all Indian Jones forums. I used to be happy on here but know there is people like you and this really makes you hate you stuck up Indiana Jones fans. For all I care dunleavy you can SUCK IT. If you dont believe me write Steve and ask him

What's the deal? Is there more to this story?

I wear my fedoras every day and I don't do much to take care of them. In the past I have had at least 3 or 4 fedoras that were either made from him by scratch or reblocks of Akubras and none of them have tapered so bad with the New England weather of severe snow, severe rain, severe sun and back to severe snow again. I wore one Adventurebilt non-stop for 5 years and it NEVER tapered that bad.

I would almost offer to give you some money and send it to a hatter do rework it, but I'm not so sure, buddy.

RCSignals
05-13-2011, 12:21 AM
He did say he ordered it as a young indy hat. Isn't the young indy hat tapered?
Personally the young indy isn't my favourite style.

jnicktem
05-13-2011, 12:23 AM
The problem with that is he originally won the AB on eBay and didn't order it from Steve. It has been reblocked, that is for sure... but who reblocked it?

admin
05-13-2011, 12:26 AM
There's a thread in Nukin' the Fridge regarding what happened on another site. If there are questions regarding the item offered for sale ask them here or send a message to the seller. Let's keep the discussions in their proper place.

Thank you,
Admin

indydude18
05-13-2011, 12:27 AM
He did say he ordered it as a young indy hat. Isn't the young indy hat tapered?
Personally the young indy isn't my favourite style.

That may be so, but the fact of the matter still stands: indydude1 has provided no provenance. Even a Master Hatter like John Penman agrees that this does not look like either Marc or Steve's work. Until indydude1 can provide some concrete provenance, I don't think anyone will take his claim seriously. Just my 2 cents.

RCSignals
05-13-2011, 12:36 AM
indydude1 has provided no provenance.

Which why I posted suggesting he should do just that. It would be in his best interest.

indydude18
05-13-2011, 12:39 AM
indydude1 has provided no provenance.

Which why I posted suggesting he should do just that. It would be in his best interest.

:agree: 100% :)

bendingoak
05-13-2011, 03:50 AM
the shape of the hat means nothing to me. Any hat if the core gets soaked will tapper or shrink. The thing that bothers me is the sewing. That is no way Steve or Marc.

Unlucky Berman
05-13-2011, 06:42 AM
But if it got soaked through to the core, it isn't a good idea to advertise it as "THE HAT IS IN GREAT CONDITION AND IT HAS ONLY BEEN WORN A FEW TIMES." Great condition means to me it is nearly in the form it left the manufacturer's shop. So looking closely on this one, huh, the liner's holding on the hat is strange. I did not look onto the big pictures, just saw the small peviews and you are right neither Steve nor Marc would do something like that.

Marc's work would look like that one:
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab243/Hamilton_Endicott/Boards/Indy/P1030950.jpg
And I am sure that Steve's work is made in a similar fashion.

indydude1
05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
No I did not reblock it I never got around to buy a block.

K-Wad
05-13-2011, 07:28 PM
On COW (in the "Way to use naptha" thread) you claim to have reblocked 3 cowboy hats into fedoras using your BLOCK and you were planning on reblocking your AB yourself.... Now you state that you do not have a block?

Too many contradictions regarding this hat....

jnicktem
05-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Yep- here is a direct quote from you on Feb 11:

Ok good. I have reblocked 3. They were all cowboy hats that I turned into fedoras. My block is not great but I hope to be getting a new one soon.

RCSignals
05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
maybe that is what he meant, he doesn't have a proper block.

Lets let Indydude1 get some provenance to show before this goes further.
I think there is enough in this post now to inform any potential buyer but the provenance is needed.

crismans
05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
:agree:

indydude1
05-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Ok first of all yes I reblocked a few cowboy hats but I did it with a makeshift fome block that i made. Second, I was talking about a LC AB that I had gotten really dirty. I did not really talk about this hat much on COW. All I did was show it off when I first got it and that was it.I also have a note that Steve put in the box the hat came in. I will scan it and post it up in alittle while..

indydude1
05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Ok here is the note Steve put in the box when I got the hat: http://imageshack.us/m/151/4507/05142011034934pm.jpg http://imageshack.us/m/713/7681/05142011035058pm.jpg

Raider S
05-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks Indydude1. I hope this will answer the questions people have and you can get a buyer.

indydude1
05-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks Raider S me too.

deadseascrolls
05-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks Indydude1. I hope this will answer the questions people have and you can get a buyer.

Indeed, well done and well handled with the questions raised on your hat. The time you took to scan and post even that much information helps out a lot. Now, if I may make a suggestion ---- it would really help if you posted ALL of the letter including Steve's signature on the paper. Otherwise, in generality, there may be some who will still doubt you because you've not posted the entire letter or signature. So just a suggestion.

But again - you've handled this very well. I commend you on that. :toast:

bendingoak
05-15-2011, 03:43 AM
Maybe at one point steve made this hat but someone else sewn in the liner, and ribbon because there is no way in he'll he did that.

indydude1
05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Didn't Steve have like an apprentice? Maybe that is who did the liner and ribbon.

bendingoak
05-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Not if that letter is real.

indydude18
05-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Indeed, well done and well handled with the questions raised on your hat. The time you took to scan and post even that much information helps out a lot. Now, if I may make a suggestion ---- it would really help if you posted ALL of the letter including Steve's signature on the paper. Otherwise, in generality, there may be some who will still doubt you because you've not posted the entire letter or signature. So just a suggestion.

But again - you've handled this very well. I commend you on that. :toast:

:agree:

indydude1
05-15-2011, 05:02 PM
John, What do you mean if that letter is real?

jnicktem
05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I think what John means is that Steve would NEVER allow a hat associated with his name to leave his shop like that.

G-MANN
05-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I think at this point there is enough information for anyone actually interested in purchasing the hat to make a well formed decision. Even on ebay, if you are using Adventurebilt as a selling point the folks that know what that means are familiar with Steve's work.

Good Luck with your sale indydude1

Raider S
05-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I see a signature on the letter. The letter might also imply this hat was finished in a different fashion than others.

indydude1
05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Well it was signed by Steve and the signature is identical to the one in the sweatband so I dont know from here on.

G-MANN
05-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Quit worrying about opinions and sell the hat. That's all that matters really. Right?

deadseascrolls
05-15-2011, 07:55 PM
it would really help if you posted ALL of the letter including Steve's signature on the paper.

I owe you an apology Indydude1 and my thanks to you Raider S. I went back after seeing you say you saw a signature Raider S and saw that Indydude1 posted both parts of the letter. It was there the whole time. I just overlooked it. So I apologize for the above statement I made to you Indydude1.

And along the same agreement as others have stated, there is enough information for others to make an honest decision about it and let the hat now speak for itself. If someone has a problem with something, they don't have to buy it. Also, they can do their own work in researching the hat. What I'm seeing out of your letter is that all the pieces to the hat seem to be original. You've also used the hat so there's bound to be a little wear to it.

The hat is still beautiful and the fact that you have that wonderful letter to go with it adds to the flavor. I'd actually mention you have that letter in your Ebay ad. Some people might be more inclined to buy it if they can get a copy (or original depending on your decision) with it.

Well done presenting your item and I wish you nothing but the best in selling it!

bendingoak
05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Not if that letter is real.

If steve wrote the letter no one else would have worked on the hat but like I stated. Steve did not sew that liner nor the ribbon.

deadseascrolls
05-16-2011, 01:53 PM
If steve wrote the letter no one else would have worked on the hat but like I stated. Steve did not sew that liner nor the ribbon.

I hope my comment was not taken as a question to your observations and knowledge John and I meant no offense to you. So if you did take offense, I apologize. I was just simply stating that, based on the written evidence that's been presented thus far, all the "parts" of the hat seem original. I don't think you'll find anywhere my agreeing that just Steve worked on it. Known for his dedicated attention to details and quality, I couldn't see him either sewing the liner or ribbon on like it is. I'll admit that I am quite the novice on hats and hat-making, but I, myself, would think that you sew the ribbon on and then put the liner in, sewing the liner in either with the sweat at the bottom or tucking the liner in-between the felt and the sweat and then refolding the sweat inside. This would ensure that the sewing is not seen and you get a nice, professionally finished looking liner on the inside. To me that would be a fundamental whether you're a novice or professional.

But as I said, like many others have stated, it's now all up to the potential buyer. Good luck Indydude1 once again on that venture. And again, John, no offense or questioning on my part towards your comments, opinions or evidence you've provided. :)